Sunday, January 23, 2011

Strawberry Applesauce

The original recipe can be found here.

Time Needed: 1/2 hour
Level of difficulty: easy
Materials needed: 5 apples, 1/2 cup water, 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon), 8-10 strawberries, 1/4 cup sugarDirections: Peel and chop your apples. Put in a saucepan with water and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until fork tender. (I simmered with the lid on, but I don't think it matters.) While simmering, stem and chop your strawberries. After the 15 minutes are up, add your berries and simmer another 5 minutes. Then remove from the heat. If using a cinnamon stick, remove now. From here, there are a couple of options for you. If you like chunky sauce, you're done. If you like it a little more smooth, there are several things you can do. Run the sauce through a sieve, put it in a blender, or do a quick pulse on your food processor. I like mine baby food consistency, so blender it was for me. Once you're done with this step, taste and check for flavor. This is when you add the sugar. I say wait till now because if it doesn't need it, don't worry about it. However, you can add as much as needed to get desired sweetness. Let it cool because it'll be stinkin' hot. Then, serve it up and be proud of your accomplishments!

PS: like my dish? It was my hub's great aunt's wine glass from the 192o's. I'm pretty sure it's real gold rimming it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?