Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vegan 3 Bean Chili

I must preface this recipe with the statement that I am not a vegan. Chik-fil-a and I are too close for that to happen. However, I had some friends over today for a spa day and one of them is vegan, so I tried out some vegan chili just for her. And I have to say... I'm totally sold on it. This is definitely going in the "go-to meal" rotation.
Time Needed: 45 minutes
Level of difficulty: easy
Materials needed: 2-3 bell peppers (chopped), 1 onion (chopped), 3-4 tablespoons water, 3-4 cloves garlic (chopped), 1 packet of taco seasoning, 1 can kidney beans (rinsed), 1 can pinto beans (rinsed), 1 can black beans (rinsed), 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, tomato juice or water (optional), cilantro (to taste), salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions: Saute the bell pepper and onion in the water until softened. Then, add the garlic and taco seasoning and saute for 5 minutes. Then add the beans, tomatoes, and corn and simmer for 30 minutes. Add water or tomato juice as needed to reach desired consistency. Once done simmering, add cilantro, salt and pepper as desired.

This is really yummy served with tortilla chips and sour cream. And, if you are thinking, "Hey, sour cream isn't vegan," my response would be, "Well, they make non-diary sour cream, so use that!"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    I have featured your yummy recipe on my blog for Souper Saturday. If you would rather I not include your recipe on my post please advise. I look forward to making this chili soon, on a cold winter day. Thank you.

    http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinkin?