Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pico de Gallo

For anyone who doesn't know, pico de gallo is fresh chunky salsa. Or, if you're being literal, the translation means "beak of the rooster" which obviously has a lot to do with the fact that it's really salsa. Then again, burrito means "little donkey" and that doesn't sound very appetizing, either. Back on topic. Pico de gallo is delicious and amazing and you should totally make it. Let me share my fabulous recipe with you.

Time Needed: 30 minutes
Level of difficulty: easy
Materials needed: 8-10 Roma tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, 3 green onions, 3 tablespoons garlic, 3 tablespoons cilantro, 1 jalapeno, 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, salt to taste
Directions: Dice and mince the crud out of everything. Obviously, the size of chunk will depend on the ingredient. The garlic and jalapeno will be much more finely diced than the tomato and cilantro. All of this is to personal taste, so make it as chunky or as fine as you'd like. And, if you like more or less of something, well, add more or less of it. I like a juicy salsa, so I squeezed my tomato chunks a little after chopping them, but if you like a less juicy option, leave that part out. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil (I used my garlic infused olive oil - zing!) and top with salt. Make sure you have enough chips, though, because you'll want to eat all of this in one setting.

Side note: The garlic in this is the fresh garlic my friend gave me that I mentioned here and the cilantro is from my garden that I mentioned here. Let's just say that I made everyone's 4th of July a little better by bringing this to the party. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?