Saturday, July 30, 2011

Road Trip Cake

I have a good friend who is leaving for college. She'll be driving across the country to attend university, and I wanted to make her a special cake to say goodbye and good luck. Here's what I came up with:
I depicted her road trip using food. Yu-um! Let me tell you how I did it.
I baked a plain 'ole cake. Then, I used granola bars to criss-cross the cake, as if it was a road. I iced both sides of the cake. and covered the left side with coconut. (I dyed it green by putting it in a Tupperware container with a bit of food coloring and shaking it.)
I took some small brownie bites and laid them on the far right side as rolling hills. I cut some ice cream cones in half, dipped them in icing, and then dipped them in the coconut.
For the car, I took a Twinkie and cut a piece of the front to make it look like the front of a car. I did the same with a much smaller piece on the back. I dipped this in chocolate and put it in the freezer until it hardened.I used icing for the windows and purple Froot Loops for the tires. I stuck it on the gravel road with icing and then iced a dotted line along the path.

It was a super fun cake to make, though it did take forever. She loved it and was so excited to see it waiting at work for her. She'll do great, though we'll sure miss her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?